Sunday 28 April 2024

Face2Face Lesbians Art Project and Lesbian Visibility

Three years ago, on April 25th 2021, I began my Face2Face (Non-binary Genderfluid) Lesbians artwork project, when I decided to put together two cardboard street artworks I'd created for #sothebyssundaysketch to make a third, for Lesbian Visibility Week 2021. 

When I put the two muses together, I imagined the narrative that this was the day these two lesbians met, and their story has inspired me to create artworks about them ever since. It's still an on-going, lifelong, art project of mine. 


Years prior to this project, I was already looking to create an art series on one theme, after seeing some fantastic series in art history. So when I felt I could create an ongoing narrative with these artworks and combine it with highlighting the serious lack of lesbian representation in art, I chose these artworks as a basis for my series and project. We always say visibility is key yet I barely ever see myself, as a demicis, genderfluid lesbian. 

It started quite by accident, as I experimented with clipping the two together after completing my 2nd sketch, initially titled 'Picasso Meets Street Art 2', building on the previous week's 'Picasso Meets Street Art 1'. They were rather similar portraits because they were both drawn for the Sotheby's Sunday Sketch who requested Picasso inspired doodles and muses, two weeks on the trot. At the time, Sotheby's were doing a weekly call for art and I built on their collage suggestion while deciding to add in a colour scheme inspired by Picasso's blue and pink periods. πŸ’™πŸ’— The original title for this Art Series was simply: 'Face2Face Lesbians'. I later added 'Non-binary Genderfluid' in brackets in case the pink and blue colour scheme made viewers assume it symbolises the trans flag 🏳️‍⚧️ so meaning it only depicts lesbians who are trans, which I hadn't intended. My artistic intention is for all sapphics of all gender expressions and identities to feel they can relate to this art series and feel more included and visible in society and the art world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Face2Face Lesbians Art Project and Lesbian Visibility

Three years ago, on April 25th 2021, I began my Face2Face (Non-binary Genderfluid) Lesbians artwork project, when I decided to put together ...